Post Box At Knocksedan
A Saorstát Eireann Post box at The Coach House
near Knocksedan Swords. When the Irish Free State
[ Saorstát Eireann ] came into being in 1922 the
Imperial Red paint on the pillar boxes ware painted
over with Republican Green paint.
The crown and monarch were left in the top panel but
the door panels were replaced with the harp and initials
S.E. , Saorstát Eireann. This rare bax at Knocksedan has
the initials of King Edward V11.
The wall in which the post box is embedded forms
part of The Coach House which was a public house
in the 18th and 19th centuries. Coaches coming and
going to Belfast would stop here for rest and
refreshments. The post box is one of the few
remaining in the country from the King Edward time
that have the initials S.E. engraved into the
metal. The letters on the top E R Edward VII
(1901-1910) The road in which this old post box is
located is the R108 otherwise known as The Naul Road
and it used to be the main road from Dublin to Belfast in days of yore.